Broadband and Advanced Technology Committee
The Broadband and Advanced Technology Committee meets at 12 noon on the first Monday of each month at the Kandiyohi County Health & Human Services Building.
- Monitor the technology atmosphere of the business community
- Make sure the business community is aware of emerging issues or needs relating to technology
- Monitor past, current and future requirements for technology and advocate for businesses with vendors
- Assist with obtaining 100% broadband and cell phone coverage within Kandiyohi County
- Fund website grants for new or upgraded websites
Kandiyohi County was approved for two state Border-to-Border Grants.
- Consolidated Telecommunications Co. (CTC) received the highest award ever given by the state of Minnesota, a $4.94 million grant, to improve high-speed broadband to north central and northwestern Kandiyohi County. The grant was subsequently declined by CTC and the project was not done.
- Frontier Communications was awarded $1.02 million to expand broadband access in rural southeastern Kandiyohi County.
The EDC has received several grants from the Blandin Foundation to further broadband initiatives in Kandiyohi County:
- In 2016, the EDC was awarded a grant for a robust network feasibility study of Kandiyohi County.
- In 2015, the EDC received a grant to install WiFi hotspots for its grant partners Central Community Transit, New London-Spicer Schools, United Way of West Central Minnesota and the city of Willmar. All grant partners purchased portable WiFi routers that can be used on their buses, except for the city of Willmar, which used the grant funds to expand WiFi at the Willmar Civic Center.
- In 2014, the EDC received a grant to host the county’s first-ever hackathon. Hack20 was held September 18-20, 2015 and resulted in four potential apps for the community.
- In 2010, the EDC was 1 of 11 demonstration communities to receive funding through the Minnesota Intelligent Rural Communities (MIRC) Initiative.
Mark Boeschen, Chairperson
David Sisser, Vice Chair
Connie Schmoll, Business Development Specialist
Broadband Committee Minutes
- January 8, 2018
- Prior Years